All new, transfer or readmitted undergraduate students who plan to enroll for seven or more credit hours must meet one of the following testing requirements. Students who fail to meet at least one of these requirements are not allowed to register for any course the following semester:
- Take the ACT English or SAT verbal examination, and have scores submitted to ASU.
- Receive a score of four or five for the advanced placement examination in English offered by the College Entrance Examination Board, and have scores submitted to ASU.
- Take the CLEP general examination in College Composition, earning a score that qualifies for equivalency with ENG 101 or placement into ENG 105, and have scores submitted to ASU.
- Have previously taken ENG 101, ENG 102, ENG 105, ENG 107 or ENG 108 at ASU; or have previously earned a grade of "Y;" or be currently enrolled in WAC 101 or WAC 107 at ASU.
- Transfer a course equivalent to ENG 101, ENG 102, ENG 105, ENG 107 or ENG 108 with a grade of "C" (2.00) or higher. An official transcript showing the grade must be received at ASU. If a student transfers an equivalent composition course from a public Arizona community college or university or an articulated equivalent course from another institution, the equivalency is automatically posted and the student need not take further action. A student transferring a nonarticulated composition course from any other college or university may be required to submit documentation to determine equivalency of the courses. After consultation with an advisor, if evaluation is necessary, the student should submit a request for evaluation through the ASU Transfer Credit Guide.
- An international student whose native language is not English must take ENG 107 (or WAC 107 followed by ENG 107 the second semester) in the first semester at ASU, unless they have taken and transferred an equivalent composition course from a college or university in the U.S. Such a course must be evaluated for equivalency through the ASU Transfer Credit Guide.
Admitted ASU students who have not sent official ACT or SAT scores to ASU may need to take the WritePlacer section of the ACCUPLACER placement test for placement into a first-year English composition course.
ASU requires all incoming freshmen to complete the ASU mathematics placement test for mathematics prior to orientation, in order to determine the appropriate math course for enrollment.