Policies for students at ASU at Los Angeles

The following policies apply to students pursuing programs at the ASU at Los Angeles location. Students at this location are also responsible for knowing and adhering to all other academic policies of Arizona State University.

BPPE compliance disclosures

Most compliance disclosures mandated by BPPE, including School Performance Fact Sheets, are available on the Admission Services website. Below are additional disclosures related to finances; drop, add and withdrawal; and university and student record policies.

Institution financial status

ASU does not have a pending petition in bankruptcy, is not operating as a debtor in possession, has not filed a petition within the preceding five years, and has not had a petition in bankruptcy filed against it within the preceding five years that resulted in reorganization under Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code (11 U.S.C. Sec. 1101 et seq.).

University academic information

Prospective students are encouraged to review the ASU academic catalog and Degree Search prior to signing an enrollment agreement. They are also encouraged to review the School Performance Fact Sheets, which must be provided prior to signing an enrollment agreement.

The ASU academic catalog is published annually. Department, school, division, college and university requirements are upgraded often, and may change. A PDF archive of the academic catalog for the catalog year is published annually, which includes educational programs offered by ASU and their curriculum. ASU also publishes a list yearly of instructional faculty; students can access the latest version of the catalog and requirements through the Academic Catalog website and Degree Search.

Class sessions in California are held in two ASU locations:

ASU California Center - Broadway
1111 S Broadway
Los Angeles, CA 90015
(213) 510-6900

ASU California Center - Grand
919 South Grand Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90015
(213) 510-6960

Notice concerning transferability of credits and credentials earned at this institution

The transferability of credits a student earns at Arizona State University is at the complete discretion of the institution to which they may seek to transfer. Acceptance of the degree or certificate the student earns in the educational program is also at the complete discretion of the institution to which they may seek to transfer.

If the degree or certificate a student earns at this institution is not accepted at the institution to which they seek to transfer, the student may be required to repeat some or all of their coursework at that institution. For this reason, students should make certain that their attendance at this institution will meet their educational goals. This may include contacting an institution to which they may seek to transfer after attending ASU to determine if their degree or certificate will transfer.

Student records

Arizona State University permanently retains student transcripts, graded class rosters, official grade reports, graduation audit reports, combined name and gender change authorizations, degree/certificate issuance records, and theses and dissertations. Records Management retention schedules list other records and the amount of time required to keep them. Many student records, including transcripts, can be accessed through a student’s My ASU at any time. Students can contact University Registrar Services or the appropriate department for other record requests.

Student Tuition Recovery Fund

Note: The Student Tuition Recovery Fund payment is included as part of ASU tuition and is not assessed as a separate fee.

The State of California established the Student Tuition Recovery Fund to relieve or mitigate economic loss suffered by a student in an educational program at a qualifying institution who is or was a California resident while enrolled or was enrolled in a residency program, if the student enrolled in the institution, prepaid tuition and suffered an economic loss. Unless relieved of the obligation to do so, a student must pay the state-imposed assessment for the STRF, or it must be paid on their behalf if the student is in an educational program, who is a California resident or is enrolled in a residency program, and prepays all or part of the tuition.

Students are not eligible for protection from the STRF and are not required to pay the STRF assessment if they are not California residents or are not enrolled in a residency program.

It is important that students keep copies of their enrollment agreement, financial aid documents, receipts or any other information that documents the amount paid to the school. Questions regarding the STRF may be directed to the:

Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education
2535 Capitol Oaks Drive, Suite 400
Sacramento, CA 95833
(916) 431-6959 or (888) 370-7589.

To be eligible for STRF, a student must be a California resident or enrolled in a residency program, prepaid tuition, paid or deemed to have paid the STRF assessment, and suffered an economic loss as a result of any of the following:

  1. The institution, a location of the institution, or an educational program offered by the institution was closed or discontinued, and the student did not choose to participate in a teach-out plan approved by the Bureau or did not complete a chosen teach-out plan approved by the Bureau.
  2. The student was enrolled at an institution or a location of the institution within the 120 day period before the closure of the institution or location of the institution, or was enrolled in an educational program within the 120 day period before the program was discontinued.
  3. The student was enrolled at an institution or a location of the institution more than 120 days before the closure of the institution or location of the institution, in an educational program offered by the institution as to which the Bureau determined there was a significant decline in the quality or value of the program more than 120 days before closure.
  4. The institution has been ordered to pay a refund by the Bureau but has failed to do so.
  5. The institution has failed to pay or reimburse loan proceeds under a federal student loan program as required by law, or has failed to pay or reimburse proceeds received by the institution in excess of tuition and other costs.
  6. The student has been awarded restitution, a refund or other monetary award by an arbitrator or court, based on a violation of this chapter by an institution or representative of an institution, but has been unable to collect the award from the institution.
  7. The student sought legal counsel that resulted in the cancellation of one or more of their student loans and has an invoice for services rendered and evidence of the cancellation of the student loan or loans.

To qualify for STRF reimbursement, the application must be received within four years from the date of the action or event that made the student eligible for recovery from STRF.

A student whose loan is revived by a loan holder or debt collector after a period of noncollection may, at any time, file a written application for recovery from STRF for the debt that would have otherwise been eligible for recovery. If it has been more than four years since the action or event that made the student eligible, the student must have filed a written application for recovery within the original four-year period, unless the period has been extended by another act of law.

However, no claim can be paid to any student without a social security number or a taxpayer identification number.

Drop, withdrawal and refund policy

Per California education code EDC § 94919, students pursuing a degree program at the ASU at Los Angeles location may withdraw from ASU and obtain a prorated refund of money paid for institutional charges if they have completed 60% of the semester or less at the time of withdrawal. The refund excludes disbursed federal financial aid funds.

If you drop a class or officially withdraw during the 100% refund period, you will receive a refund in accordance with the ASU refund policy. The applicable refund periods are:

  • For regular semester classes (session C) and sessions that are eight weeks or longer, the 100% refund period extends through the first two weeks of the semester.
  • For sessions that are shorter than eight weeks (sessions A and B) and dynamically dated classes, the 100% refund period is one week after the semester begins.
  • For classes that begin prior to the first day of the regular semester, the applicable 100% refund period begins on the class start date, not the semester start date.
  • For the summer session classes (sessions A, B and C, and dynamically dated classes), the 100% refund period is the first five days of the applicable summer session.

You may withdraw from ASU completely by providing notice through My ASU. To withdraw through My ASU, you must complete the steps below after contacting your advisor to discuss the withdrawal process:

  1. Review the Academic Calendar for complete session withdrawal and tuition refund deadlines. ASU at Los Angeles students may withdraw from a course after instruction has started and receive a pro-rata refund for the unused portion of the tuition and other refundable charges if you have completed 60% or less of the instruction for the academic term.
  2. Log into My ASU.
  3. Under the My Classes section, select Registration and then Drop/Withdrawal.
  4. Indicate all classes and/or sessions for the withdrawal, answer the required questions, and select Submit Withdrawal Request.
  5. Your request will be reviewed and you will be notified of the status. If approved, your Complete Session Withdrawal request will be sent to University Registrar Services for processing.

Students may also be subject to special types of withdrawal due to disruptive behavior, conduct or lack of attendance.

In addition to requesting withdrawal via My ASU, you must also withdraw from the enrollment agreement by completing the cancellation form.

Refunds will be paid within 45 days of cancellation or withdrawal.

If you received federal student financial aid funds, you are entitled to a refund of monies not paid from federal student financial aid program funds.

If you obtain a loan to pay for the educational program, you will have the responsibility to repay the full amount of the loan plus interest, less the amount of any refund. If you default on a federal or state loan, both of the following may occur:

  • The federal or state government or a loan guarantee agency may take action against you, including applying any income tax refund to which you are entitled to reduce the balance owed on the loan.
  • You may not be eligible for any other federal student financial aid at another institution or other government financial assistance until the loan is repaid.