University College policies

University College is spearheading the evolutionary next step in higher education. The college seeks to end achievement disparities for learners of all backgrounds through designing personalized learning experiences, preparing learners for a future of integrated working and learning, and supporting learners at scale using automation, analytics and intelligent systems.

Academic integrity

University College values academic honesty in academia as the basis of shaping students who will become productive workers and contributors to society. University College is committed to supporting student success by supporting accountability. The college uses every opportunity, including academic violations, as learning opportunities for students to gain experience, resources and personal growth.

Academic dishonesty falls into five broad areas that include:

  • cheating on an academic evaluation or assignment
  • plagiarizing
  • academic deceit such as fabricating data or information
  • aiding academic integrity policy violations and inappropriately collaborating
  • falsifying academic records

It is important that students understand what constitutes a violation of academic integrity; they should review the full ASU Academic Integrity Policy.

Why is it important?
Academic integrity violations have a negative impact on students, the ASU community, and students' future career aspirations.

Academic dishonesty undermines a student's ability to demonstrate their academic excellence. Furthermore, academic dishonesty does not allow instructors the opportunity to develop a student's educational aptitude to prepare them for a career, and it diminishes the integrity of the ASU academic community.

Who can report academic dishonesty?
Anyone with a good faith basis for believing that a student has engaged in academic dishonesty may report the alleged violation to the instructor or academic integrity officer for the college or school in which the academic dishonesty occurred.

Student resources
If students ever find themselves in a situation where they are unsure as to whether an issue could be construed as academic dishonesty, they should use the academic integrity student resources. Sun Devils are champions of integrity and making the right decision.

Students with questions about ASU’s Academic Integrity Policy or alleged violations should contact University College’s academic integrity officer Bruce Bailey with any questions.

Notice of nondiscrimination

ASU prohibits all forms of discrimination, harassment and retaliation. Students should review ASU’s policy ACD 401: Prohibition Against Discrimination, Harassment and Retaliation.

Title IX protects individuals from discrimination based on sex in any educational program or activity operated by recipients of federal financial assistance. As required by Title IX, ASU does not discriminate on the basis of sex in the education programs or activities that we operate, including in admission and employment. Inquiries concerning the application of Title IX may be referred to the ASU Title IX coordinator or to the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights or to both. For more information, students should email, call 480-965-0696, or visit the office located at 1120 S. Cady Mall, INTDSB 284. For information on making a report, students should reference the Report It website.

Undergraduate policies

Academic standing

To be considered in academic good standing in University College, students must achieve a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or higher. Academic standing is determined twice annually --- in December after fall semester grades have posted, and in May after spring grades have posted. Grades earned during summer sessions affect GPA but are not considered for academic standing purposes until the next review period.

Academic warning

An undergraduate student with a cumulative GPA of less than 2.00 at the end of their first semester (fall or spring) is placed on university academic warning.

Academic probation

If a student's minimum cumulative GPA first falls below 2.00 in a term that is not the student's first term at ASU, the student will be placed on probation. Failure to return to good academic standing after being placed on probation may result in disqualification.

What happens to a student on academic warning or academic probation?
A student on academic warning or academic probation is considered in conditional good standing and is permitted to enroll.

All University College students who are not in good standing are required to meet with an academic advisor and complete an academic success agreement. During the appointment, the advisor will review the prior semester, discuss the student's academic standing status, possibly make adjustments to the course schedule, and help the student explore strategies to return to good standing.

Improved performance will help a student earn either a good standing or continued probation status. Students who achieve a cumulative GPA above 2.00 are considered in good standing. Students who achieve a semester GPA above a 2.00 but retain a cumulative ASU GPA below 2.00 are placed on continued probation. Students who fail to achieve a semester or cumulative GPA above 2.00 are subject to disqualification from the university.

All students who receive an academic warning or are placed on academic probation for at least one semester must successfully complete the academic refresher course UNI 220 Mindset Connections as a requirement of graduation.


Students who have been disqualified from ASU are not eligible to take classes at ASU during fall or spring semesters; however, enrollment in summer classes is permitted and encouraged. Students may enroll in summer classes at ASU to improve the GPA and bring the cumulative ASU GPA back into academic good standing (2.00).

Students who have had a fall or spring semester lapse in enrollment while on disqualification status will need to submit an application for readmission to ASU to enroll in summer classes or be considered for a future fall or spring enrollment.

Academic advising

All students are encouraged to seek advising from their academic success specialist (i.e., their academic advisor) prior to registration. Students must review the Academic Calendar each semester for information and deadlines pertaining to enrollment including course adds, drops and withdrawals.

The ASU Academic Catalog is the governing source for all degree requirements. Students are expected to read the requirements for university General Studies, undergraduate graduation and major degree requirements. The academic success specialist will provide guidance.

Contact advising:

Mandatory advising

The following students in University College must receive advising clearance prior to course registration:

  • new students in all exploratory tracks
  • new students in their first semester of attendance
  • readmitted students in their first returning semester
  • students on academic probation or continued probation
  • students who have been disqualified
  • students who are off track for graduation

Students are encouraged to use My ASU to check their advising status requirements each semester before attempting any registration transactions.

Credit and registration

Credit overload petition

A student may take up to 18 credit hours per semester (fall or spring) and seven credit hours each summer session. Prior to submitting the request for credit overload, the student must do the following:

  1. meet with their advisor
  2. have a legitimate academic reason for making the request
  3. have a written plan describing in detail how the demands of a heightened workload will be met
  4. complete a full semester at ASU before the overload semester
  5. be in good academic standing
  6. not be repeating a course during the overload term
  7. be a degree-seeking student
  8. submit the form at least a week prior to the start of the session
  9. meet the GPA requirements as outlined on the Credit Overload Petition form

Class overrides

Class overrides will not be considered unless there are specific extenuating circumstances (e.g., if the prerequisite has been completed or will be completed at another institution prior to the start of the class in question). Class override requests will not be considered after the drop/add period has ended for that session (A, B or C).

The student must complete the Class Prerequisites Override form.

Space overrides

Under certain circumstances, the college may approve a student to enroll in a class that has filled the number of allotted seats. Space overrides will not be considered if the room has reached maximum fire code occupancy or if other sections of the same class are available at another time. Override requests will not be considered after the drop/add period has ended for that session (A, B or C).

The student must complete the Space Override form.

Transfer credit and appeals

ASU will accept transfer credit for traditional coursework a student has successfully completed at regionally accredited institutions of higher education as documented on an official transcript.

When a student transfers to ASU from another college or university, the following general standards for transfer credits apply:

  • ASU accepts college-level (not remedial) courses in which the student has earned a grade of "C-" (scale is 4.00="A") or better from regionally accredited colleges and universities.
  • A maximum of 64 credit hours will be accepted as lower-division credit when transferred from a regionally accredited community, junior or two-year college, with the exception of some special programs.
  • Acceptable academic credits earned at other institutions that are based on a different unit of credit than the one prescribed by the Arizona Board of Regents (PDF) are subject to conversion before being transferred to ASU. All ASU students must meet graduation requirements (university, college, major and General Studies requirements) in order to earn a bachelor's degree.
  • Grades and honor points earned at other colleges and universities are considered for admission, but the ASU cumulative grade point average is based solely upon coursework taken at ASU.
University College standards
  • Requests for General Studies credit may be approved for transfer courses or for ASU omnibus classes (e.g., 294, 394 or 494 classes), which are not reviewed by ASU’s General Studies committee, and thus, do not carry preapproved General Studies designations.
  • Requests for established ASU courses are discouraged; typically, established ASU courses that are not already designated as General Studies courses either do not meet the criteria or the department has decided not to submit them for General Studies designation. Sometimes an instructor will insist that their class meets General Studies criteria, but if the university General Studies committee has decided otherwise, the petition will not be approved.
Types of transfer credits NOT accepted by ASU:
  • courses for which the student earned a final grade that was lower than "C-"
  • credit awarded by postsecondary schools in the United States that lack candidate status or are not accredited by a regional accrediting association
  • credit awarded by postsecondary schools for life experience
  • credit awarded by postsecondary schools for courses taken at noncollegiate institutions (e.g., governmental agencies, corporations, industrial firms, etc.)
  • credit awarded by postsecondary schools for noncredit courses, workshops and seminars offered by other postsecondary schools as part of continuing education programs

A student wishing to transfer to ASU who feels they have been unjustly denied credit for transfer courses may appeal by completing the Transfer Credits and Other Petitions form.

Repeat/replace policy

Students wishing to repeat courses and possibly replace prior course grades must follow the Repeat/Replace Policy stated in university policy SSM 203-06 regarding the number of credit hours that can be repeated and the types of courses that are eligible for a grade replacement.

All prerequisites for the course must be met with the required grades before submitting the petition to enroll in a course for the third time or more (even if registration has previously been permitted without them). Students may not repeat a course for a third time or more if they have passed the course with a "C" grade or higher. Approval to retake a course does not imply that enrollment in a class after the drop/add deadline is permitted or that the student may register for a class section that is already full.

Pass/fail grade options

A grade of “Y” (satisfactory) contributes to a student’s earned credit hours but does not affect the GPA.

The pass/fail grade option ("P"/"E") may be used under the following conditions:

  • Approval has been granted from the instructor and college offering the course.
  • Enrollment for the pass/fail option must be indicated during registration and may not be changed after the drop/add period.
  • A maximum of 12 credit hours taken for pass/fail may be counted toward graduation.

Students may not enroll under the pass/fail option in the following courses:

  • first-year composition requirements
  • General Studies requirements

Late registration

In order to add, drop or swap sections of the same course after the official drop/add deadline, the course must be open and course prerequisites must be met or overrides must have been authorized and posted. If this criteria is met, the student should do the following:

  1. complete the Enrollment Change Request form
  2. include instructor’s email approval, which includes course information
  3. submit an enrollment change request form to the department up to three business days after the late add deadline to register for a course

Requests received after the three business day deadline will not be approved unless the instructor provides confirmation that the student’s grade will not be impacted.

Students should allow at least 24 hours for University College to process the request. If approved, University College will forward the request to the Registrar's Office for processing.


Course withdrawals

Requests to drop a course after the drop/add deadline are not considered unless there are extenuating circumstances beyond the student’s control. In these cases, the student will need to attach an email outlining the extenuating circumstances to the Enrollment Change Request form. Students may initiate a late withdrawal up to three business days after the deadline by emailing Backdated drops will need department approval.

Medical/compassionate withdrawals

What is a medical or compassionate withdrawal?
Students who experience a serious illness, injury or other significant personal situation that prevents them from continuing classes may request a medical/compassionate withdrawal from the college of their major.

Medical/compassionate withdrawals require relevant and detailed supporting documentation for consideration. Approval is at the discretion of the college, and there is no guarantee that a request will be approved.

Students may view the full ASU medical/compassionate withdrawal policy.

Steps for submitting a medical/compassionate withdrawal:

  1. meet with an academic advisor to explore the withdrawal procedures
  2. work with faculty for alternative class arrangements or incomplete grades
  3. consult with a student financial assistance counselor to determine financial obligation
  4. review guidelines of required documentation sections below
  5. submit the Medical/Compassional Withdrawal request form

Required documentation for medical withdrawal
Students must obtain an official letter from a health care provider on health care provider’s letterhead stationery that details:

  1. the circumstances or challenges of the student
  2. the date of onset of illness
  3. dates the student was under professional care
  4. general nature of the medical condition and why or how it prevented the student from completing the coursework or attending class
  5. the date of anticipated return to school
  6. the last date the student was able to attend class

Students making a request for some, but not all, courses in a semester must provide a statement as to why they were successful in some courses but not others.

Required documentation for a compassionate withdrawal
The official documentation must include a statement from the student explaining the circumstances or challenges they are facing. Documentation should corroborate the request either by strengthening the request or providing a timeline for events.

Example: If the request involves a death, attach a copy of the death certificate, airline itinerary and receipt, and funeral pamphlet showing dates.

Medical/compassionate withdrawal for international students
International students on an F1/J1 visa must consult with the International Students and Scholars Center to discuss the serious immigration consequences that may result from a withdrawal from ASU. Students on an F-1/J-1 visa must provide medical documentation from a U.S. licensed medical doctor, doctor of osteopathy or licensed clinical psychologist.

Complete session withdrawal

Since a complete session withdrawal from the university can be a difficult decision and could result in serious academic and financial consequences, beginning the first day of the fall and spring semesters, undergraduate students are required to contact the college or school of their major to facilitate the withdrawal process. Students should review the Academic Calendar for complete session withdrawal deadlines.

To complete a full session withdrawal, students must complete the complete session withdrawal procedures. Note: International students must contact the International Students and Scholars Center regarding intent to seek a complete session withdrawal by sending an email to Students will be notified of the status of the submission. If approval is granted, the completed session withdrawal will be forwarded to the ASU Registrar’s Office for processing.

Degree requirements

Exploratory tracks

All first-year students who choose to become an exploratory student are required to declare an exploratory track in one of four areas:

Each of these tracks is designed to provide students with introductory courses in a field of choice (e.g., Introduction to Psychology, Introduction to Environmental Design), General Studies education and elective courses that reinforce student interests. Each exploratory track is composed of a three-semester major map, culminating in the declaration of a major by the completion of 45 credit hours.

All exploratory students are required to enroll in a major and career exploration class (UNI 150, 250 or 270) each semester the student remains designated as an exploratory student.


Students who have been disqualified from ASU may be reinstated to University College for a fall or spring semester if they complete either of the following:

  • Raise their cumulative ASU GPA to academic good standing levels (2.00) by taking ASU summer session courses.
  • Complete 12 or more transferable credit hours of ASU General Studies courses at a community college or university with no grade lower than a “C” and a GPA of 2.50 or better. Courses in which the student failed or received a “D” at ASU should not be repeated at another institution.

Once readmitted, the student may be placed on academic probation for at least one semester. Students on probation will have one semester to raise their cumulative or semester GPA to meet the required 2.00 GPA to remain at ASU. Failure to do so will result in disqualification from the university. Students should meet with a University College advisor to identify their options, and develop a plan for success.

Students who have been disqualified two or more times will not be reinstated until they achieve an ASU GPA of 2.00 or better by taking summer courses.

Quick re-entry: Students who have had up to a seven semester absence from ASU may be eligible to return to the university via the Quick re-entry process. Students should see an advisor for additional information.

Readmission: Students not eligible for quick re-entry must submit an application for readmission for the semester for which they wish to return to ASU. This readmission will be contingent on completing the requirements stated above.